Content Creation for STEM subjects is lately gaining a lot of steam because of the shift in focus towards the learning and teaching of the multidisciplinary subjects- Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM). In a contemporary post pandemic world, where the world is moving largely towards virtual learning and training, there is a rapid demand in the academic content for STEM subjects to enable better teaching methods and hence better retention and results from students.
As a result of this demand, a lot of startups and small companies are springing up to meet the needs for content development and content creation of STEM subjects. And while it is the nature of any industry to meet the demands by appropriate supply, there are certain critical points that need to be kept in mind while creating content for STEM subjects. Some of these may be STEM teaching methods, lesson plans, quality control and more. So here in this blog, we will delve deeper into attributes and tips for content creation for STEM subjects for outstanding results.
To get content created for STEM subjects- refer to our content development products and services here.
What Are the STEM Subjects?
STEM is an umbrella term used for the four fundamental subjects, namely Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics. In addition, it can also be used as a curriculum method for classroom learning in these four specific streams through a cohesive learning paradigm derived from real-world applications.
The science part of the STEM usually covers three significant branches;
- Formal Sciences: Mathematics based on statistics and logic
- Natural Sciences: Biology, Physics, and Chemistry
- Social or Behavioral Science: Sociology, Political Science, and Psychology
Content creation for STEM has extensive implications on human resources development, education policy, immigration policies, and even suitable citizens for national services.
What are the STEM teaching methods?
Before jumping straight into the content creation for STEM, there is an important thing to learn. There are various teaching methods for STEM subjects. All these methods are effective in their way. But to get the essence of these subjects, there are three possible actions to be taken.
In the project-based STEM learning method, students get a real-world problem and specific content with the necessary information to solve that problem. This approach aims to develop problem-solving capacity through research and creativity. This is highly effective for required leadership skills, project management, and teamwork at school and in life. To read more about this, you can refer to our blog on Project Based Learning.
A problem-solving approach to teaching students at an early age leads to a better understanding and ability to grasp information to solve curriculum-based and later real-life problems. This method of STEM brings fundamental changes in a student’s learning and analysis capacity
The Inquiry-based STEM learning method encourages the student to be curious and think scientifically. It is a method that engages students by helping them explore complex topics and then ask the right questions. You can read more about Inquiry Based Learning here.
How to Plan Lessons for STEM?
Steps to curate a practical and interactive lesson for STEM teaching:
- The first thing is to select a subject and topic for teaching. You must be comfortable and well informed about all aspects of your selected topic.
- Once decided on the topic, connect it with a real-life problem. There should be logic and relatability
- Define and decide challenges to solve for the students
- Evaluate and explain the success of the project
- As we are talking about technology and scientifically inspired learning plans, use engineering designs in your teaching
- A solution needs understanding, support your students to identify the problem
- The next step is content creation for STEM subjects that students will research to find the answer to the problem.
- Ideation based on research is a crucial part and purpose of STEM learning. Encourage students to come up with fresh and unique ideas.
- Help students to finalize one unique idea and test to develop a prototype
- As a facilitator, ensure proper arrangements for testing and evaluation
- The next part should be an open platform for communication, where students can interact and discuss their results
- The learning plan should also include scope for re-design to improve or innovate further in a teamwork atmosphere
How to Include STEM Activities for Quality Content Creation?
It is essential to use the tools effectively for a large part of the content creation. Some reasons and methods will allow the creators to include STEM subjects. Here are some of the methods to include.
- Critical thinking is important for the students to include by introducing the STEM activity in content creation, research, and development. It will elevate the content in all sorts of ways. In addition to that, the content will be more beneficial to everyone.
- The second method is digital literacy. With digital literacy, the creators will understand the norms of the STEM subjects and use them in their content effectively.
- The content needs to follow the self-reflection method. Content creation for STEM needs to follow this method because it will also help the students. Students will be self-reflecting and self-observant.
What Factors to Keep in Mind for the Companies Creating Content for STEM?
- Content should be based on scientific method and informative to research the solutions
- It should include problem-based real-life tasks
- Content to encourage innovations and unique thinking
- Students and the workforce should learn communication skills, including leadership, teamwork, etc.
- Content needs to be latest and relevant as per contemporary topics and technological innovations
- There should be scope for continuous improvements and self-learning through interpretation and logical evaluation
With the help of these tips, get started with teaching STEM or inspire you to attempt a new teaching approach. There are innumerable opportunities within the field, so it’s definitely worth encouraging with everything STEM has to offer.